Friday, August 3, 2012

Winging It, & Writing

Writers so often hear how important it is to outline and plot before ever starting  to write their story. To know their beginning, middle and end. To already have a vision,   and  are able to define their   protagonist and antagonist.

I agree this  seems the popular formula for writing a best selling novel, essay or memoir. 

Who am I to disagree?  I have yet to write a   book , let alone be published. Yet, I am a writer with hopes one day to   write my  novel, and yes,  have it published.  So I'm  always looking for inspiration and ideas about the best way to go about it.  I certainly  adhere to the axiom, write, write, write and re-write , but   today, I  was fascinated , and found it interesting when I read the mediation for August 3 titled Winging It,  on how   to cultivate a productive and meaningful writing life in  Fred White's The Daily Writer.




Writers tend to be intuitive sorts. Yes, it's sensible to work with an outline or synopsis, especially for the book -length projects., but sometimes too much planning ahead can impede output. If you find yourself plodding along  or feeling that writing is more of a chore than an adventure, consider winging it, flying by the seat of your pants, putting yourself out on a limb, having faith in yourself.

We learn from our day jobs the importance of planning ahead, of keeping the risk factor at a minimum. with writing, as with most any kind of creative work, intuition and cautious planning ahead are often at odds. So much of creative writing involves spontaneous discovery and following one's hunches. Sure, we can fall flat ,but part of the fun of writing is seeing where it all leads. The payoff quite often compensates for the setbacks.

So , following White's For Further Reflection, I'll try 'winging it' and take flight from the tried and true, even  if I'm not sure where I'm headed  with the new idea. White encourages writers  to explore new ways of telling a story, of turning a phrase, and says, " Keep in mind that readers are explorers too, and they will be delighted to embark on new narrative and verbal pathways."






4 comments:

Elizabeth Smythe Brinton said...

When you wing it, the unexpected sometimes shows up. The greatest thrill I have had as a writer to date, is to find characters that suddenly appear in my imagination. What astounds me about them is that they seem to arrive with their suitcase and they are the ones who take over and tell the story.

Kathy Cooney Dobbs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy Cooney Dobbs said...

Your comments always add color to my post. Thank you,Liz!

Kathy Cooney Dobbs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.